Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fighting for Our Right … to PARTY

I’m no expert event planner, but I have been to enough parties to understand that having a theme is everything. I mean, which party sounds more fun to you?
  • Party at Steve’s house on Saturday night. Bring snacks.
  • Tiki Bash at Steve’s house on Saturday night. Slap on a coconut bra, don’t forget your grass skirt and work on your moves for the hula contest.
No brainer, right? But, I think there’s something about the traditions and the “seriousness” that people have long associated with weddings that prevents many people from really cutting loose and celebrating in a big, blowout sort of way like this. More often than not, the weddings I’ve attended have been “wedding” themed weddings. Or perhaps it’s more accurate to say they’re “romance/love” themed weddings, which is pretty much the same thing. The best are the “look how much money we have” themed weddings, but those are harder find (or else I just don’t run in the right circle). While these events are fun, and couples always find their own creative ways to showcase their personal style, I find it all too subtle for my taste. I mean, if I’m throwing a party – the biggest party of my whole adult life – it’s going to be a paaarrrtaayyy!!

I don’t recall Groom-A-Saurus Rex and I ever having an actual discussion about if there would be a theme for our wedding. Nor did we have any formal sit-downs where we said what that theme would be. From day one of our engagement we both just knew – our wedding is going to be rockin’!

There’s nothing subdued about a rock and roll theme, nor should there be. It should be loud and in your face from the first second until the last. And we can't wait to party on!

No comments:

Post a Comment